Saturday, December 19, 2020

Quarantine Diaries: Part 23 - Snow Day



 "Canceled" used to be a word that DC loved. 

School is canceled.

Work is canceled.

Baseball (or any sport related activity) is canceled.

He liked baseball - when he got there, but was always happy to stay home if it rained.

When something he was really looking forward to was canceled due to weather or any other reason - he was not happy with the word, but... in his mind, it meant that it was not my fault. 

It wasn't me not letting him go for whatever reason - weather, illness, other plans.

"Canceled" was always a good word either for him or I depending on the circumstances.

Not any more.

After this year of having everything he loved, canceled - he does not want to hear that any more.

Not that he was not happy to have a day off from work; I just could not use the word canceled.

"DC, you are going to stay home tomorrow because of all of the snow." (I could not use the word "storm" either)

Hoping he would accept just that without further explanation because he does love going to work - he stopped, stared at me and went directly to making plans!

Not a worry about work. Not a worry about when he would go back. His only worry was the Christmas lunch that was scheduled at his job for Friday.

***

“Mom! Computer tomorrow?”
“Mom! Peanut Butter toast in the morning”
“Mom! (Holding a jar of peanut butter) Smooth, unsalted peanut butter for me?” (we have to use the whole and proper name)
“Mom! Decorate the cookies tomorrow?”
“Mom! Not to be nervous about the storm.”
“Mom! Pepperoni on sandwich for lunch.”

***
Snow Day List:
Peanut Butter Toast ✅
Using “His” Peanut Butter ✅
Computer ✅
Pepperoni Sandwich ✅
Nervous about the storm ✅
Decorate the cookies ✅
Eating the cookies was not on his list but he resolved that oversight.


***
So that went well...
The snow was cleared in time for his work party on Friday.

I will reserve the right to use "canceled" for the times when I need to prove that it is not my fault, but until that has to happen, the word remains banned.

*******************

In case you are new here: “I tell stories, most of the time; single individual stories about this or that. Some may be written with humor and some may come across as “Oh, look at the cute thing DC did or said” (he does crack me up at times) but my object is always to make people understand how his mind works, never to "make fun of him"

It is difficult to explain “his” autism to anyone without resorting to 1000 examples and 1000 stories. So I tell 1000 stories to make clear that there are other sides to autism than the characters seen in TV or movies."

This blog is used for shorter posts, off topic posts and also for longer Face book statuses. Please visit my official blog site at: Taking it a Step at a Time 










No comments:

Post a Comment