Sunday, December 13, 2020

Christmas Secrets

 


DC and BB had another DBD Day Out when they went to the Mall for Christmas shopping the other night (Masks, distancing... the works).

Since Christmas shopping was the planned activity for the evening, I asked DC who he was going to shop for (hint, hint). After telling me he was shopping for "DC" a few times, I finally got him to understand that he is supposed to be shopping for other people (hint, hint again).

Finally he told me he was going to shop for me. (Don't judge. I have spent 29 years being "all of Christmas" - while "other people" mail 1 unwrapped DVD in an envelope without even a card < was I supposed to wrap it too?> It is nice to have DC think about me for a minute and be able to take credit for a gift he actually picked out).

***

Knowing DC as I do and his inability to keep a secret - I reminded him that he can't tell me what he buys until Christmas. It is supposed to be a Christmas gift. It is supposed to be a secret.

If you've been here a while, you know how well DC keeps secrets. He will tell you to "Shhhh it's a secret" as he is telling you the secret. Apparently in his mind, if he whispers said secret into my ear, it counts as keeping the secret.

They had a nice time shopping.

DC called a few times (spontaneous use of the phone!!!). Once to tell me that 'Sub-a-way' ran out of meatballs and he did not "freak out".

His usual subway order is meatball and pepperoni grinder with nothing else. Running out of meatballs has happened only 3 times in DC's lifetime. The first time DC came up against a meatball outage was not pretty - trust me. He finally opted for just pepperoni and bread. I believe that was also his order the next time they ran out of meatballs, which went a bit easier than the first time.

This time, he went for pepperoni with (wait for it) bacon, cheese, TOASTED with Honey Mustard!!!!! Hooo-LYYYY! He was proud of himself and I was proud of him (even though that combo really sounded disgusting to me).

The moment DC walked through the door carrying the bag that Doug told him to leave in the car so I wouldn't see, DC handed me the bag and whispered, "Shhhh! It's a secret"....

No, I didn't look and Doug took it back to the car when he realized DC brought it in and I was holding it.

****

After this one secret "stumble" on DC's part, to his credit I have not heard about the "Secret" again. He might just make it to Christmas!

*******************

In case you are new here: “I tell stories, most of the time; single individual stories about this or that. Some may be written with humor and some may come across as “Oh, look at the cute thing DC did or said” (he does crack me up at times) but my object is always to make people understand how his mind works, never to "make fun of him"

It is difficult to explain “his” autism to anyone without resorting to 1000 examples and 1000 stories. So I tell 1000 stories to make clear that there are other sides to autism than the characters seen in TV or movies."

This blog is used for shorter posts, off topic posts and also for longer Face book statuses. Please visit my official blog site at: Taking it a Step at a Time 



No comments:

Post a Comment