Monday, October 9, 2017

VHS to DVD to Blu-ray to Digital to.......



DC came over to me, iPad in hand while I was on the computer and proceeded to sing the theme to Bye Bye Birdie in it's entirety.

His allergies had kicked in full force the day before so it was not an easy feat for him.

When he was finished singing, he shoved the iPad in front of my face. The screen was showing the "Buy It Now" option for the digital version of Bye Bye Birdie.

sigh.... 

heavy sigh...

Look, the guy loves movies. He loves Disney. He loves musicals. I get that and I support his love of media, but let's take a step back and think about this:

He is 26 years old.

We began our journey in the VHS era. He had hundreds of movies on VHS.

Next came DVD's - everything that he had on VHS eventually was replaced by DVD's (and I mean everything because he does not outgrow the movies that he started out with)

THEN, came the 20th, 25th, 30th, 50th Anniversary Special Editions of everything he already owned.

(There are very few things that DC likes - very few - movies, music and books are on the top of that small list. These are what he gets for birthdays, Christmas and any events that require a gift. So let's not say that he is being spoiled, there just aren't all that many things that he enjoys.)

Next came Blu-ray. DVD's will play on a Blu-ray player, but not vise-versa so we had to upgrade to a blu-ray player. When they first came out with blu-ray I envisioned having to replace everything again, so phew; replacing the player was not a big deal.

But WAIT! 

Now he has an iPad and it seems that we are replacing everything one. more. time so he can have the digital versions. 

(It is a plus that he finally understands that "Buy it Now" costs money - not that he has a complete understanding about the concept of money but he understands that he has to ask me first <that wasn't always the case>)

Last week when I let him purchase whatever it was he wanted at the time (I can't remember), I told him that was enough for awhile. I suppose he thought that struggling to sing the song with a stuffy nose, while coughing and sneezing in an attempt to provide an entertainment angle would help to make his case to me for the purchase of this movie.

He was right..... 


******
This blog is used for shorter posts and also for longer Facebook statuses. Please visit my official blog site at: Taking it a Step at a Time










No comments:

Post a Comment