Saturday, July 4, 2015

Thunder and Lightening - Happy 4th!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
2004 sparklers
I know that fireworks are at times a big issue for children and adults with autism. I just finished reading a blog from Autism-Mom on this very subject (give it a read if you have a minute).
This time of year is difficult for DC. It is not only Thunder and Lightening Season, but as we know, the firecrackers seem to begin exploding around the middle of June in anticipation of the 4th.  I generally spend these two or three weeks explaining to DC over and over again that the noise he is hearing is not astorm, it is just someone shooting off fireworks. He is okay with that. For a child (man) that just cannot stand a storm, he was always fine with fireworks. He actually really LOVES fireworks, he always has.
To look at him when the first few go off, one would think he is terrified. He nearly jumps out of his skin and covers his ears, even when he knows they’re coming, but then he laughs and after the first few the ear covering is ends and he is stimming away.
We are fortunate that we never really have to go anywhere to see a really great 4th of July fireworks display. Someone in town (and I still really haven’t determined who) puts on a really fabulous display every year. At one time there were two big displays, one earlier in the evening that we could see perfectly from the front of the house and the other larger display that we could see perfectly from the back of our house.
I never really know what night they will go off, until they start. Generally I forget all about them until they start. I guarantee you that whether it be tonight or tomorrow night, as soon as DC realizes that what he is hearing is not thunder we, like *Autism Hippie will be standing outside in our pajamas.
Maybe this year I will try to think ahead and remember not to get changed so early…….

 *(I can’t find it now but I read a status the other day from Autism Hippie about standing outside in their pajamas watching fireworks. It made me laugh because I realized that we are not the only ones out watching fireworks in our pajamas! Fortunately the front of the house fireworks are no more so at least we won’t be out in the street in our pajamas as in years past)

No comments:

Post a Comment