Saturday, May 7, 2016

Mother's Day Continued

This is the post that never ends….

and it goes on and on my friends…
flowers
Not really but if I continue to add to it every year it very well could be the post that never ends.
For a split second, I thought I had made the same mistake that I made last year in letting him make plans with his friends ahead of time not realizing that those plans fell on Mother’s Day. After frantically going through my texts, I realized that I had not. This year DC and I will get to spend all day together. He’s made his Mother’s Day plans; plans that are all about him. He views every holiday as an opportunity to go ‘out to eat’ so that is what we will do. I am sure that a trip to the bookstore is on his agenda as well. He likes to roll things out a little bit at a time.
I suppose technically Mother’s Day is all about him, right?
Even though the plans tend to favor him, he does understand that it is a little bit about me. He has made it a point to say“Happy Mother’s Day, Mom with my heart” numerous times every day since he realized that Mother’s Day was coming.
I am looking forward to the ‘secret’ hearts and flowers picture that he told me that that he is going to draw for me, going out to eat and even the trip to the bookstore because truth be told, there is nothing I would rather be doing then spending the day with my boy……..
Have a very Happy Mother’s Day!
Now, the rest of the post….
*****
“Ooh, you’re a holiday… every day …such a holiday” – Happy Mother’s Day (2015)
“Now it’s my turn to say….. and I say you’re a holiday”
mother's day
The day before Mother’s Day 2014, I wrote a post about my obsession with a Macaroni necklace. I thought that it would be my post for Mother’s Day, but on the following day on Mother’s Day I just HAD to write an update.
Since I am still in awe about the ‘updated part’ and the progress my boy has made – I am re-posting both of those posts together today. I am blessed with this wonderful child and he is absolutely a holiday to me, every day…
DC is spending tomorrow with his friend BB at the circus. BB’s Mom bought the tickets ahead of time not realizing it was Mother’s Day and I said that he could go ahead of time, also not realizing it was Mother’s Day.
-insert sad face-
So we will be going out for Mother’s Day breakfast and apparently there is at least a card involved. Never able to keep a secret, DC, when he walked in the house on Thursday night made it a point to announce, more than once that he left Mom’s Mother’s Day card in the car. After breakfast DC will have a good time at the circus with his friend. I’m sure we will get to spend some time together later in the evening.
Wishing you all a very relaxing and happy Mother’s Day!

Mother’s Day and The Macaroni Necklace (2014)

Macaroni
My only Mother’s Day gift wish when DC was little was a macaroni necklace. You know, the macaroni necklace that every child makes for their mother eventually, for some occasion or holiday or for no reason at all. I think I remember making a few of my own when I was a kid. I really wanted a macaroni necklace! Unfortunately,  there was no one that was going to help him do this, with the exception of me, of course,  but that would not be the same. In other families if there was not another parent or sibling to make the suggestion and help with the project, eventually the child got old enough to come up with the idea as we all did when we were young, on his own. I knew that this was also something that was not going to happen in the foreseeable future, at least.
I know it was an odd thing to be fixated on, with so many other things to worry about, but it really made me sad that  my son was never going to make and present me with a macaroni necklace. I talked about it all of the time. Whenever my birthday or a holiday came around, my friends would have to listen to me whine about the fact that I would never have that cherished macaroni necklace. In my mind it was the “right of passage” of parenthood.
Now, yes of course I realize that this necklace that I wanted so badly was just a representation of the many ways our life was and would continue to be so very different from the way I had imagined when he was born.
I know that very few people end up with the life they imagine, but I knew ours would be very different.
DC was in school, but at this point in time, they really hadn’t done many of the “school gift” projects that most children come home with around the holidays ~ probably because the projects would not  make it home in one piece ~ therefore my hopes for a macaroni necklace were dwindling.
One day, the Friday before Mother’s Day, when DC was 6 or 7, I opened his back pack and found a package labeled “Mom”. I called DC over and asked if this was for me. He signed “Yes”.
I opened it and there it was,  a macaroni necklace! Made with HEART SHAPED macaroni, no less. Also included was a photo of DC and his aide stringing the pasta.
This was absolutely THE best Mother’s Day gift! Of course, he didn’t really understand that he had to give it to me, I had to find it in his back pack, and of course the writing wasn’t his, but there was photographic evidence that he had made it himself!
I wore it all day on Mother’s Day and  to work on the Monday after Mother’s Day. He seemed to be very pleased that I was wearing it!
My office mates were happy too, believe me….. I specifically remember one saying “Thank God you finally got that macaroni necklace, I was about to make one myself!”
Now-a days DC is no longer oblivious to holidays. He knows when they are coming, he knows what they are about for the most part. His mind still doesn’t go to “Hey let’s make Mom a card or a gift for Mother’s Day”, but he now has some help for that.  But he does remember to give them to me, usually early because he is too excited and can not wait. He does make the connection with the holiday and the gift and he is very, very proud of himself when he gives me a gift. Such a difference from the boy who didn’t know it was a holiday or to know that he should give me the gift he made at school sitting in his back-pack to the “man” who just can’t wait to make me happy with his gift!
There is nothing that makes me happier than seeing him proud of what he’s done and accomplished.
So, Happy Mother’s Day!
May your jewelry box runneth over with pasta and your day be filled with joy!


Mother’s Day update

DC loves to draw and he does draw quite a few pictures for me. His favorite subjects are flowers, cakes and once in a while,  pizza. He draws pictures for me for no reason at times but usually his “Flowers for Mom” drawings are reserved for the times he thinks he is in trouble and the times he IS in trouble. When you see “Flowers for Mom” pictures laying about when you walk into my house, chances are DC is in trouble for something. He never draws for a holiday or birthday, unless it is suggested to him.
Less than 12 hours after I wrote..
“His mind still doesn’t go to “Hey let’s make Mom a card or a gift for Mother’s Day”, DC woke up and the very first thing out of his mouth was, “Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!”.
We went to the kitchen and I started making coffee,  I turned around and there was DC at the table drawing.
He stopped when he saw me look at him as if I wasn’t supposed to see; “Sorry, Buddy, I won’t look”, and he continued on.
A few minutes later he presented me with this picture, with no prompting and no one to tell him it what a good idea it might be!
Happy Mother's Day!
Less than 12 hours after I wrote…..
Such a difference from the boy who didn’t know it was a holiday or didn’t  know that he should give me the gift that he made in school sitting in his back- pack to the “man” who just can’t wait to make me happy with his gift!”
there was more…………….
Happy Mother’s Day!
***********
Ooh you’re a holiday , every day , such a holiday……
Now it’s my turn to say , and I say you’re a holiday ~ Bee Gees

No comments:

Post a Comment