Friday, October 9, 2015

Jokes

“Funny Friday” Night



haha
Jokes…… not really a concept that DC understands most of the time. There are things that he finds funny when he is watching a movie or reading a book and physical comedy, of course is very funny to him – but to tell a joke and understand why it is funny is not always in his realm of understanding. He is very literal and jokes are oftentimes very abstract.  Not to say that he does not spend a good part of his time laughing – he does. I rarely know what he is laughing at and he, for the most part can not explain just what is so funny. It is just the things that are going on in his head.
There are times when he does surprise me…

As I am sitting here listening to him laugh at a scene from “The Big Comfy Couch” on YouTube – the same scene over and over and over again – and I am reminded of a time that he not only surprised me but his teachers as well.

Below is a post from two years ago about a that day. Since we seem to be having a funny Friday night here (over and over and over again), I decided it was as good a time as any to re-post……
******

“Funny Friday”




For the two years after “Graduation” DC attended a transition program through the school system at a local college.
I was visiting the school for a class event, one Friday afternoon and his teacher, “Mr. Disney” (as DC calls him) excitedly came over to me and asked “Did you help him with his jokes today?” Not knowing what he was talking about, I said “No, what jokes?”  One of the IA’s (“Para’s” to some of you) chimed in to tell me that he had told 3 jokes for “Funny Friday” that morning.
Mr. Disney went on to tell me that every Friday is “Funny Friday” and all of the students tell their favorite jokes at the morning meeting.
Okay…. Let’s pause here for a moment……
I don’t know how long (or if ever) it will take before anyone will understand that HE IS NOT GOING TO COME HOME AND TELL ME THESE THINGS! If someone else does not tell me, I am not going to know. If I had known about “Funny Friday” I would have helped him with some jokes, but unfortunately I was never told.
I was surprised that he actually TOLD a joke because DC’s idea of a joke – and it’s always the same – is:
“Ha, Ha, Ha! Funny Joke!”
Me:   “What’s the joke, Bud?”
“Monster!”
(Insert “cricket” sound here – that is it)
They proceeded to tell me the jokes he told that morning. He told them properly complete with a bow and…. they were actually funny – real jokes!
“Why did Bo Peep pour chocolate on her sheep?”
“She wanted a chocolate BAAAAAAAAR”
“Why can’t Cinderella play Soccer?”
“Because she ran away from the ball”
“What do they call a Fairy that doesn’t take a bath for a month?”
“Stinker-Bell”
He told honest – to – goodness JOKES!  After years of “Monster”, he actually told, not one joke, but three and UNDERSTOOD why they were funny!
Later, I ran into the Interim Dean of Health Sciences, of the college who couldn’t wait to tell me about the three jokes that DC shared that morning. Everyone was very impressed, to say the least!
Still I had no idea where he found these jokes.
About a week later, “Mr. Disney” finally got DC to tell him where he found his material.
Actually, he showed him……
After asking him all week, DC went to the computer, typed “Disney jokes” in the search engine and found a web-site full of Disney jokes.
He memorized them and had them ready for “Funny Friday”!
He was able to figure out on his own that “Monster” wasn’t cutting it for “Funny Friday” and he needed better jokes. He went about finding them himself, remembered them and had them ready for Friday!
“Monster” ?? Still his favorite joke.
(Graduation – I do not know what it is like everywhere else, but here school-age for SPED is 3 to 21 years. DC “graduated” from the High School after spending 4 years there. Having two years left of school, after his senior year – the options were to let him stay at the High School or to have him outplaced into an appropriate transition program. Fortunately the town put together this transition program right before DC was ready to graduate.)

No comments:

Post a Comment