Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Two years ago today..... #Seizures



A not-so-happy memory





Face Book Memory - Two years ago today. 

Three hours after posting the status above, DC had his first seizure in the hotel lobby. 

Thankfully the staff (and Doug) knew what was going on as while he was seizing upright, I did not know what was happening, until he was on the floor and continued seizing for more than 4 minutes.

Four minutes is an eternity when you are helplessly watching as your child seizes.

Seven weeks later he would have another of the same length at camp. 

The only thing worse than witnessing your child having a seizure of this magnitude, is not being there with him when it happens.....

He is on medication now and so far, so good.

Even though I know there is no schedule or rhyme or reason, I am still feeling a bit of anxiety today...

Facebook Statuses 6/14/17

*****
"He is on medication now and so far, so good."

This is not to say that I still do not stand right outside the bathroom door when he is in the shower just in case.

This is not to say that the padding and corner guards all over the furniture have been removed (some are quite worn in some spots, but they have not been removed.

This is not to say that he does not wear a protective baseball hat to work every day.

This is not to say that I do not remind him NOT to lock the door (after many years of teaching him to lock the door) in a public restroom so I can get in if there is a problem.

This is not to say that I do not panic a bit when he says something odd or not like him or when he is overly happy for any length of time.

This is not to say that I still don't panic when my phone rings when we are not together.

This is not to say that I have not thought about it every . single . day since.

This is not to say that I don't know that medication works until it doesn't.....

******
Other Posts:


In an effort not to drive my son off the deep end…..



Things I have learned, things I have noticed and things that might just be in my own head


The Accessories


*****
This blog is used for shorter posts and also for longer Facebook statuses. Please visit my official blog site at: Taking it a Step at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment