Monday, April 16, 2018

#TravelingWithDC First Stop; Arlington and Washington D.C.





At the time of this trip (June 2017), I was bombarding my Face book page with so many pictures; I thought I'd wait awhile before writing about it - just to give everyone a break.

We went on a cruise a while back and after DC asked and I was made to recite the entire schedule for the week probably 153 times, I decided to try something new. I wrote it all out and posted it as wallpaper on his phone so he could read it anytime he felt the need to ask me to recite it. It actually worked. Instead of asking, he looked at his phone and recited it (probably over 152 times) out loud. I still had to listen to it, but I did not have to recite. 




I decided to try it again for this trip after his questions started to get to me; it did not work so well this time...... 

sigh.

Moving on... We arrived at our hotel in Beltsville well after midnight. I was already feeling overwhelmed with trying to schedule everything we wanted to do in the next 7 days and also looking forward to getting some sleep that night and taking our time in the morning before heading to Washington D.C.

Upon checking in to the hotel:


- the hotel that we had made reservations for quite a good long while ahead of time.... - the hotel that could have called us at any time before we arrived...


The hotel (yes THAT one) told us that they would be turning off the water at 9:00 am the following morning for some sort of maintenance! It was after midnight and at that point much too late to find another place.

I was not looking forward to having to get up, showered and out by 9:00 am.

Should we just get up, get ready, have breakfast and go?
Should we just get ready before 9 and hang out (as originally planned) with no water?

If I was not already feeling overwhelmed, it probably would not have been such a big decision, but I was tired and crabby so we just went to bed with no plan for the next morning.

Morning came, DC also pretty crabby, was angry that the razor I packed for him was the "wrong color blue". After the razor fiasco wound down, he went on to yell/order "I want breakfast" over and over again. He has been known to "mention" his wants over and over again, but yelling orders at me is just not him. 

Through it all (did I mention they only gave us two towels and time was running out? Should we make due with the two towels and hand towels or should we wait for someone to bring more towels?) I may or may not have been giving Doug conflicting instructions... 

So Doug, in the screechy voice he only uses in these instances when I expect him to know what I want to do even though I, myself do not know what I want to do said/yelled "I don't know what you want me to do? You're not making any sense."


After all of my hemming and hawing, we managed to get ready by 9, took DC downstairs for breakfast and were on our way.

(BTW, these #$*^ heads decided at some unknown point, not to shut the water off at 9, but I guess decided to keep it a secret. By the time we realized, we had already had breakfast and DC knew we were leaving, so there was no turning back)

Next stop Washington D.C and Arlington.

We visited D.C. around 5/6 years ago (maybe more) so we were only stopping to see the couple of sights that we did not get to see the last time. The Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial was still under construction at the time and due to Rolling Thunder, we did not get to Arlington. We could have gone after the procession ended,  but it was our last day there and did not want to wait due to the long ride home.

One thing that I did take away from this entire trip was that I am no longer "one with the heat".
It was HOT!

First Stop: Arlington.











It was hot and DC was bored, but we were able to make our way through more of it than I thought we would. I would like to go back again some day in the spring or fall.

Next Stop: The Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial







Quite honestly, after Arlington I did not think DC would last very long here. 

Doug was walking the wall of quotes and DC and I were standing at the entrance/exit because he had already said that he was ready to leave.

While we were standing there waiting for Doug, DC noticed the quotes on the wall. He then proceeded to walk down the walkway to read each and every one of them!







"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that"

I get a little bit teary-eyed every time I watch this video.

I am glad we finally got to see the completed Memorial.

We only scheduled the one day in D.C. so after we left the Memorial, we made our way to Virginia.

I promise you that the rest of our trip was not as crabby (but it was certainly HOT!)

To be continued.....

*****
This blog is used for shorter posts, off topic posts, for longer Face book statuses and apparently complaints about dentists and doctors :) . Please visit my official blog site at: Taking it a Step at a Time 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment